Thursday, November 06, 2008

Skot's response to election...

A Prelude...
Christi here. I just wanted to say something quickly before you read this. I am happy that we have an African-American man elected to be our president. I feel like this is the cherry on top of the sundae for the civil rights movement that started so many years ago. Am I excited that he is a Democrat? No. I am worried about our money, our investments, our future. We are trying to move ahead in this world and I feel frustrated with the notion that making under $250'000 keeps you safe from the future tax hikes... It makes me feel like there is a new glass ceiling over my head. Oh well, he will be sworn in on Jan 20 (i think thats right) and we will just have to see what happens. Following is Skot's view.

SKOT:
Yeah, it happened. The inevitable. Who's surprised? No one. I think there are 3 main things that contributed to this win:

1. Perfect timing - he got in at a time when people were sick and tired of the Republicans and people needed something different.
2. Great branding / marketing - if Obama has one thing on his side, it's the creative industry. These people did an amazing job of branding his campaign and messaging. McCain couldn't touch him. I have to compare it to the Mac (democrats) vs PC (republicans) commercials.
3. Republican failure - no one can speak against the fact that the republicans screwed themselves in this election. It's just like a sports team that fumbled the ball way too many times, made incomplete passes, too many penalties, and not enough touch downs. They only have themselves to blame.

Whether we like it or not, we are in a global economy. The world would have been disappointed in a McCain victory. Should we care? Yes. The American brand is important, extremely important. It has been damaged these past 8 years.

Obama is not a moron. He will not (hopefully) swing all the way to the left. The majority of voters in this nation are in the middle. If he does that, he'll lose the trust of a lot of people that voted for him. If he's smart, he'll pull in some Republicans to his cabinet, maybe even John McCain. That would be a smart move. Talk about bipartisanship. With a majority in both the house and the senate, Obama will have to be the bipartisan one. He's been ramming "bipartisanship" down our throats, let's see if he actually acts that way.

He's also appealing to the upcoming generations of this country that are or will be running it. The moral of this generation is important. If nothing else, these people are happy and excited. That is good.

I'm sick of all the negativity associated with both parties. Now that the Dems have control, shut up and do something. They've been complaining and crying for 8 years in every way possible. They have no room to talk now. They've been talking a lot, let's see if they can do anything. We definitely won't have any brothas complaining about being oppressed by "the man" because, hey, "the man" is a brotha! (Actually he's only half a brotha).

I'm happy to see a change of pace and an energy around the country that we haven't had for a long time. I'm not that excited to see the things that may come about as a result of Obama winning, but I don't think I would have been that happy about McCain either.

I voted for Bob Barr. Yes, he supports the Fair Tax, and he's a Georgia boy. Did I throw my vote away? NO. Can someone tell me again why we are one of the last countries in the world with a 2 party system? I guess it's better than a 1 party system. Why do I have to vote for a Republican or Democrat to feel validated? I shouldn't have to. My only two choices of something to eat are brussels sprouts or radishes. They both leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Whatever the occasion, it's historical. Cheer up. It can't be worse than it is. Well, I hope not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the election didn't cause any big "HE'S MY VOTE AND I'M STICKING W/IT" arguments.
but im glad it's ovr.

(like the last sentence from skot!)

-imeny