Monday, January 26, 2009

Pay attention next time

LONG, BUT WORTH READING!

I run about 3 days per week. Through the holidays I usually get tripped up a bit with my schedule. I'm back at home for now and trying to get myself back into step. I prefer running outdoors but have recently succumbed to the toasty indoor heating and bought a limited membership at the local gym so I would have a treadmill to run on while the local frozen tundra remains so.

Saturday (Jan 24th) I was short on time and decided I HAD to get a run in, even if I really only had 20 minutes. Okay, so 20 minutes? No problem. I have training runs on my iPod from Stin Hansen that are 20 minutes of high intensity intervals that totally kick my tail. I can handle the time crunch. As I dressed and left my house there was a small lingering thought in the back of my mind. Skot had mentioned that it was going to be really cold. I pushed the thought away thinking I could take the cold (probably in the 20 degree range, right?), I really could not miss a run, I need it so bad.

So this is how my run went:
Kinda hot already from running through the house to get dressed - double layers.
Leave my pull-over face mask behind, too hot, like I said.
Step out the front door.
Start walking briskly to warm up.
Dang it is cold, my face is freezing. Should I have brought my mask?
Start to walk faster, the cold penetrating through my single layer gloves.
Start a slow jog, I am interval training right?
Start running.
Breathing heavier hurts deep in my chest.
As I progress through each interval - walk, jog, run, run harder - my body continues to freeze.
Aren't I supposed to be warming up?
My face feels strange, I touch my chin only to realize I have temperature induced anesthesia.
My nose, my forehead, my cheeks - all the same - no feeling.
I become more in tune with the rest of my body.
Extremities: butt - frozen, forearms - frozen, thighs - frozen, inside bend at my elbow - frozen?
I tell myself I can endure for 20. Just keep going.
Breathing deeper, more labored, more painful.
My throat is actually burning (chest still hurting).
How cold is it exactly?
Am I out of my mind?
No, I am not out of my mind, just dedicated and I know what keeps my stress levels down, right?
I focus on my last interval set, straining for my best.
I jog home, then walk fast, throat still burning.
I walk in the front door, taking a deep and warm breath in.
Check weather.com to see what the temperature is.
At 2:00pm 8 degrees with a wind chill temperature of -6 degrees.
No wonder.
I undress, hop in the shower and cold water pours over my body.
I jump, check the water closer to the shower head - the water is very warm - hot really.
I check around myself realizing...
My skin is so cold that it is turning the warm water into an icy shower.

3 comments:

Crafty Lady said...

:) I think my favorite part is the "temperature induced anesthesia". You are the only person I know who uses the most proper medical description. :)

audreywaldron said...

You are truly committed girl!!! I am a wuss when it gets cold and I totally would have bagged the whole 20 minute interval run and spent them doing something really meaningless I'm sure. Miss you guys hope all is well!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW.

we drive our truck to the track.

we don't go outside.

-imeny