Monday, January 26, 2009

Twilight to Dawn

I will revise this post later to add more detailed information.
I just want to say for now that I finally got around to reading the Twilight saga... I disappeared for an entire week. Hubby is glad to have me back, although this does mean that I am distracting him from playing FIFA and Call of Duty on his PS3 now.
I'm sure that I won't find another set of books that drew me in like these did for a while...
Okay, gotta stop while I'm ahead. I feel a couple paragraphs coming on.
TO BE CONTINUED...

... AND HERE WE GO...
So, I had this thing about Twilight at first. I avoided it like an offensive odor. I saw blog entries and Facebook pages plastered with comments, pictures, fan clubs, and events. I couldn't believe that people were having Twilight parties! I thought that it was total madness.
Why did I avoid it? Well, hello... it is a series of teenage books about a girl and her vampire boyfriend. Need I say more?
I suppose the next question is: How did I manage to make myself read these books and why did I like them? Well the first answer is obvious. So many people were reading them and liking them so much, maybe, at the very least, I would like them too. Also, I ran across a copy of the second book, New Moon, at TJ Maxx for $6.99. Even if the books, in my experience, tanked then at least I wouldn't be put out about the money. About a month later I was, once again, at TJ Maxx and just happened to see the first book, Twilight, at the check-out counter, $6.99. Amazing, it was fate.
I like this saga because it was an easy read. I like it because it appealed to the moody, hormonal, indecisive teenager in me that used to be (like I mentioned to my friend Erika who dislikes Twilight). I like it because the character is self-depracating and clumsy - I get that. I like because Stephenie Meyer, the author, has her characters speaking the way I speak. I just get it. It gets me. Well, really it doesn't, but I like to think so.

2 comments:

Liz Kim said...

i want to read them too! i saw the movie. :) it was bad but somehow, captured my imagination.

Anonymous said...

I have to finnish twilight itself.

it's hard to pick up the book without saying,"oh great, im a fangirl now"

-IMENY